View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 01:09 AM

Default Cleaning Up Webcam / Zoom Audio

Hi All,

I haven't been of the forums in a while, had a question I was hoping to pose. Since COVID I've been getting a fair number of projects where the audio was recording with low quality bandwidth limited sources (documentaries with Zoom interviews, corporate videos recorded with laptop or webcam mics). The audio suffers from the expected issues - limited bandwidth, room reflections, HVAC noise, extraneous sounds, and compression artifacts. Mic position is often less than ideal, with placement favoring video framing over audio quality.

I've been leaning heavily on Izotope RX for dereverb, declick, spectral denoise and spectral editing. I'll sometimes use multiband compression to tame boominess or harshness, or Waves Vitamin to recreate missing top end. As you would expect the results can be less than stellar. It's a juggling act of improving audio quality without sounding overprocessed or accentuating other undesirable aspects of the audio.

I was wondering if others are dealing with similar audio and had any mixing tips or tricks to share. I searched the forums and didn't see similar posts.

Thanks in advance!

PT Ultimate, i9-9900k, 64GB RAM, Gigabyte Aorus Ultra MB, Sapphire Radeon RX580, Windows 10 Pro, Fireface UFX