View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Thanks Benoni. So am I misunderstanding the Avid direction? Your saying that for $199.00 I get 10,11 and 12 with any upgrades for one year with no support subscription? Does that include the iLoc? If so it sounds great! The only problem is my current pc will hardly handle 9 and a new pc or mac is out of the question right now. Still I appreciate your advice. Thanks.
The purchase of the upgrade from PT9 to PT12 includes the Support Plan.

The Support Plan is different from the Subscription (maybe not in theory, but in action)

With the SUBSCRIPTION you buy per month or per year and the license is temporary. It lasts as long as your subscription.

With the Support Plan you get a Perpetual License. The license is yours forever. If you do not renew your support plan by the time it expires then you lose your "upgrade rights" so to speak, but the license continues to function forever. There may be some other things with the Avid Cloud that require an active subscription.... I don't know, it hasn't been released yet. BUT you will have PT12 with all the updates that come with it forever, even if you do not renew.

You will need to purchase the iLok 2 separately. When I need an iLok 2 I look to SlateDigital.com and see if there are any plugins that include an iLok 2 for free.

I hear ya about your current system. Pro Tools 12 has some requirements you must meet - 64bit OS, 4GB Ram, ect... http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...m-Requirements

However, you could use PT10. The system requirement are not much or any different from PT9 aside from OS I think.

If you want to learn a new DAW that is inexpensive then Reaper is the way to go. Studio One 3 Artist is $99 and looks pretty cool, but it's very limited, full version is $399. It really depends on what you do. Reason 8.2 is pretty cool, Sonar isn't bad, haven't used Cubase in a long time but I've heard good things.

A lot of these DAWs have free trials, so why not set aside a week or two, download several DAWs and then hop on YouTube and learn the basics of how each operates.

I've used other DAWs, testing the new Studio One 3 right now, but I ALWAYS come back to Pro Tools, it just feels like home. Your results may vary.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio