View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Avid Matrix Mic Pre clicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Posting a question to any users of the Avid Matrix with the A/D card with mic pre option.

Is anyone experience clicks or pops when increasing or decreasing the mic pre gain? We have four units that all experience this issue when adjusting.
Wondering if this is intentional (not sure why) or a circuitry defect.

Thanks.
I haven't used the Matrix, but clicking is pretty common in a lot of devices when increasing gain. I'm pretty sure the Avid Pre does the same thing, as do a whole slew of digital mixing desk preamps, etc. From my understanding it is the result of the digital gain control, which is incremental rather than continuously variable like in fully analogue circuits. The PGA2500 mic preamp chip is a prime example, where the clicks can be minimised by design but not necessarily removed entirely. It appears in a whooooole lot of audio interfaces being made today.

Even in higher end designs, to achieve high levels of matched digital gain control, relays are pretty commonly used. It wouldn't surprise me if the clicks and pops are just a byproduct of the design.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.