View Single Post
Old 09-07-2022, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Rednet 5 (or similar) as Dante clock without Pro Tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Any device on a Dante network can be set as the primary clock. As long as it isn't turned off, no other device will be elevated to primary (and if it is turned off, something else will take the role but when it comes back, if you checked it to be the primary, it'll take control again.)
Dante doesn't actually need an external clock.
Thanks for your reply.

I know it doesn't need an external clock, as all Dante interfaces (real ones, at least, not DVS) have clock circuitry. Audinate advertise the clocks as high quality, but I have never found an actual PPM spec. So I expect the accuracy to be in the range of +/-20ppm, like most pro audio gear. But in my case I am trying to minimize drift for long video takes. That application requires a much tighter spec. Ideally, I'd sync the Dante clock to the video, but so far that hasn't been possible.

All indications are that I should expect it to just work, since the Dante PTP clock uses an entirely different set of packets than the audio side of Dante. And actually, unless I set up some subscriptions, the RedNet will not actually be sending any audio data, just clock.

I guess I am just paranoid that a RedNet 5 will freak out if it doesn't have a Digilink connection.