View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 12:28 AM

Default Re: HD Native and Dante

JC,

Yeah, I don't keep an HD I/O at home so I don't have any way to check if you can aggregate the DVS with another interface. I suppose I should try it with the 002R at some point and see if it explodes. I was just trying to demonstrate that PTHD with an HD|N card, regardless of whether a physical interface is even connected, can fully access all of DVS.

You got me on the manual, it's written right there. Yeah, I did the CL user training and networking seminars too. I just remember them stressing using CAT6 everywhere.

For Arsenio we have essentially three "nodes"--Monitors, FOH, and the music truck. Monitors has two CL5s and five Rio3224s, FOH has two CL5s, a CL3, and one Rio, and I have four Rednet 5s in the truck. Monitors and FOH each have two GigE switches, one for the Primary and one for the Secondary, and it's all CAT6 at each location. In the Music Truck I just have one GigE switch as the Rednets are Primary-only devices. Each switch has GBIC fiber modules, and the runs between each "node" are fiber (the one from FOH to the truck is just over 300' long, Monitors to FOH just slightly less).

It is true that only four CL consoles on any single Dante network can be set to control Rio head amps. But if a console is just sending and receiving audio and not controlling anything, the only limit becomes the theoretical Dante channel traffic limit. If the fifth CL has no Rios mounted the network just sees it as another device ready to inject or retrieve audio to or from the network. We use Dante Controller to assign I/O to the fifth desk, works just fine.

Peter

PS--Please forgive the CAT6 crack. It came off a little snarky, and I'm not snarky. But I do love that word. Snarky. Fun to type.
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest