View Single Post
Old 10-13-2020, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Do I NEED an external sound card to run Protools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeydinner View Post
"What interface to buy? We have no idea because we have no idea what you are trying to do... what inputs do you need to the interface? what microphones or other devices will be used?"

I just want PT to load and be able to listen to playback. I've got Premiere Pro on there as well and really just need to monitor things.

I guess if I can't find any support for ASIO4ALL here I'll just buy that smallest cheapest interface (fewest in/outs) so people can at least use headphones for all software loaded.
What do you mean "find support for"? Pro Tools systems requirements are an ASIO sound device https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements. If you are setting stuff up and not sure what you are doing, start by trying to following the requirements. (nice to see the memory spec is now 16 GB, I missed that before). ASIO4ALL is a hack, not recommended, there are likely thousands of posts on DUC about issues with ASIO4ALL. Even if it worked OK for your quick tests the users may run into problems trying to use it later.

But regardless of this, God knows how you are going to get this all stable and usable by folks... what happens when Pro Tools starts up with the wrong Playback Engine, or is blowing CPU errors because users don't understand what settings to use? Are knowledgable staff going to be on hand to help users or are users already familiar with Pro Tools and Premiere Pro? Is somebody going to develop getting started or help guides and templates?

And personally Pro Tools is such a mess with questionable security issues I would *never* have it on a shared access computer outside of a very controlled environment. You planning to secure an iLok to it? Or require internet access to use cloud licensing? ... that cloud licensing will likely come with reliability and support overhead, especially if different folks mess around with the system.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-13-2020 at 11:07 AM.