View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Latency issues with Mac mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidlife View Post
So can anyone help me with my issue? I'm still not sure why I'm getting latency even when I have no plugins instantiated. It does sound good at buffer size of 64, but at 128 I can hear a slight latency issue.
I am lost what you are trying to get done here. Are you trying to software monitor here (i.e. monitor through Pro Tools) why just purchase any UAD plugins you really need and hardware monitor though the UAD console?

What sample rate are you running at... you need to work out what the expected IO buffer latency is. Do you think you hear approximately that latency? Again if unsure measure it (see ** below).

You performer will be much more sensitive to latency if you are also hearing a hardware monitoring path. Are you sure you have all UAD console/hardware monitoring disabled. The initial doubling you reported went away right? when you got rid of monitoring though both the Console and Pro Tools?

You performer may be more sensitive to latency if you are letting them hear a lot of live bleed e.g. through open back headphones. I'm not sure what you are tying to record/how (e.g. vocals? guitar cab? guitar DI, etc.). Edit: the performer is you? Doing "vox"? What do you mean by that? Radio style advert voice over? Movie voice over? (where you might have more/other latency issues)?

If you *really* need to software monitor and have latency sensitive performers, many people will be aiming at a 64 sample or less IO buffer. Why can't you run at a lower IO buffer? (at that low IO buffer you will not be able to instantiate UAD plugins within Pro Tools... fully expected and you should have frozen/committed those tracks). If you need to go this way: what errors are you getting if you try that and what have you done to troubleshoot them? (freeze all the tracks you can, check optimization, do usual troubleshooting).

You have a UAD interface with all it's lovely console monitoring capabilities, I'm not following why you just don't use that if monitoring latency is an issue, just go buy any needed plugins (and does the performer thing those are *really* needed while tracking?). And stuff that IO buffer up to 1024 or so. I expect the time spent on this so far will have paid for any UAD plugins needed. And again take your time to read up on the latency of the UAD plugins you might use, you cannot just assume they are all low latency.

** I'm not exactly sure what you are confused about, I have suggested before trying to simultaneously record the latency you are hearing and the live input so you can measure the actual latency of your system. You can do this in so many ways. If you are confused about Pro tools, forget it. Just grab a handheld digital recorder or mic going into Audacity or Garage band or whatever... just use the build in Mic on your Mac if it has one. And separately just record those signal. Put the mic on the desk next to the monitoring headphones and clap. Measure the time delay of the live clap and the monitoring clap fr the headphones. You can do this in Pro Tools as well recording to another audio track (mute so you don't get feedback), and in that case you likely have to factor out 1024 (or 2048 depending on sample rate) sample latency in the on-screen measurement caused by the large playback buffer that Pro Tools uses. ... that's not real latency you are hearing.

The key to solving these problems is to first stop suspecting there is anything wrong, there never is. Everything will be working as designed. Keep focused on trying to understand what is happening. And especially if you don't have a really solid foundation in the UAD console and separately in how Pro Tools Software monitoring works, then to just spend time playing around with the most simple use cases (e.g. a session with one mono audio track recording one microphone recording you clapping, maybe clapping to a click track) and confirm that you can get what monitoring latency you expect (measuring that latency if that will help you).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-16-2020 at 03:36 PM.