View Single Post
Old 12-10-2022, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Public Beta: December 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I think you're probably right. Though I do hope it's not the case -- that there's a hybrid system -- because without it we'll have a major delay in truly Native operation.
Be careful what you ask for. It's arguable the delay could be longer to a truly native system if there is hybrid support for Intel plugins (which I also don't think there will be)... in part because there is then less pressure on plugin vendors to move now, and maybe in some cases where plugin vendors just can't move/don't have engineering resources etc. they could drag things out promising it will come in future. A cleaner/faster cut over with plugin vendors showing their support or not I think overall helps. Same was true for RTAS to AAX, while overall that was painful, Avid could have, at significant effort, supported RTAS legacy plugins running in a separate wrapper/process, and in my opinion chose wisely not to, I expect that would have been a worse stability problem than the already not great migration to AAX was. (What Avid seemed to fail to do back then/maybe could not afford to, was aggressive fund (pay NRE/Non-Recurring Expenses) plugin vendors to do the work. Who knows what Avid is doing now.

Supporting legacy Intel only plugins may not help you get to a "truly native" operation, which by definition would not have any Intel plugins running. I suspect trying to do all this also is likely to inject a lot of technical problems/stability issues, and having a less stable experience on Apple silicon native is not going to help speed up users transitions to that. Apple has resources and engineering talent to throw at projects like doing this in Logic Pro, Avid I suspect just does not.