View Single Post
Old 09-19-2022, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Compensate Input/Output Delay with external converters – not H/W Insert delay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBruno View Post
I am unclear as to the bottom line about whether there is a way to compensate for input delay after recording if I am not running and Avid interface.

I have PT Studio 2022.7.0 with a MOTU 896mk3 interface. If I send a click out of the 896 and patch a cable directly back into another input and record, the delay is 7mS. That means any overdub played while monitoring the exiting track is 7mS late. (It seems unlikely that that much delay would be caused by a DA/AD conversion, so perhaps there is some input latency associated with PT itself?)

In any case, I cannot find "Compensation for Input Delays After Record Pass" in any of my menus. I have tried setting the delay times in the H/W Insert Delay tab in I/O Setup and it has no effect.

Is there any way to preserve the temporal integrity of the signals coming in relative to what is being played back other than manually nudging every time?
I'm not sure what exactly how you are getting this. Pro Tools actually should be compensating for I/O latency. And it does when I test it.

With my RME Fireface UFX+. A click track, is multi-output: to line Output 3 which is electrically connected to line Input 3, and the click track is also output to bus 2. Track Audio 1 records Input 3, and track Audio 2 records Bus 2. They align within a sample. 96 kHz session but that won't matter. 256 sample IO buffer, but that IO Buffer size is compensated for automatically, along with the conversion latency. Attached screenshot shows the sample accurate alignment. Delay comp should not need to be enabled (it does if you were using HW inserts).

Are you using more complex routing? via sends? Start with a stupid simple test session, not using aggregate I/O. No software plugins or hardware inserts. Make sure you do not have MOTU DSP effects (do any of them have any latency, or signal loops in the MOTU hardware monitoring?), disable all that. Try to reproduce the problem you are seeing with the most trivial test session you can and share it online.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 8.39.03 PM.jpg (44.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-19-2022 at 09:29 PM.