View Single Post
Old 09-19-2022, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Compensate Input/Output Delay with external converters – not H/W Insert delay!

When my brain starts to notice events on the 30 samples order of time scale, I take that as a cue I forgot my meds that morning or I should go to sleep or consume less coffee. Literally, I have schizophrenia and VERY odd audio time perception sometimes).

The perception of time is relative, and if you notice a sound maybe no one else does or even can. Literally. Maybe the scope cannot even tell. Base level beta wave consciousness is on the order of 12-38 Hz. I think on a brain processing level that's like a sample rate, and introspection, memory, muscle memory, and musical groove anticipation directly inform the nature of the next moment's "drum hit" (to keep it tribal, where our consciousness evolved). The anticipation of a 30 sample blip might become like the most significant thing if you sample RIGHT at the specific moment and get an outlier (every time). (On an EQ spectrum curve you see .._/-- or .__/-- so almost the same, but try again, it changed, so it seems like a PHASE ISSUE but is something else.... less strange than weird you know)

Doing weird things to phase as Albee mentioned to tightly correlated signals like stereo overheads, sure something might come up and be slightly audible. But overall, telling people it really really should be a super intense focus would be what people are pulling back on in the thread. Mostly, no one hears a difference, where there is in those specific outlier situations, being able to measure and manually nudge a track is a great enough and not too convoluted of a process.

Perhaps the computation necessary for auto magically timing everything would limit the sample rates so much we'd go from 192kHz/32bit to 12kHz/4bit recording again, with today's computers I mean.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //