View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 10:32 AM

Default Re: External Preamp Placement 003 / Control 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 433byron View Post
Question,

If I go directly into the 003 (using 5-8), what functions or monitoring do I lose on my control surface? Will the control surface still show all monitoring levels just as it did when I was plugging a mic into the prospected channel or does that channel basically appear dead, or in non use. If this is the case - the point of having a surface control loses the novelty.

To clear up your point - you are saying anytime I plug in AFTER the Control surface xlr mic that my ouput connections become line level - correct? what happens if I install at the Control 24 output and take it in as line levl into the outboard preamp and then back into the input source of the 003?

Last question - The Antares AVP-1, where should I introduce this outboard gear into the line - (and, is this worth having or should I go to a plugin for LE).

Thank you
I think you may have some confusion regarding the C24's preamps and the whole setup(and its easy to get confused). The preamps in the C24 are simply a set of stand-alone preamps that you can use or not use(your discretion) with your system. To use them, you would take the output TDIF connection from the C24 and patch it(via TRS) to line inputs of an interface(could be your 003, or an 8 channel lightpipe device like the DigiMax FS). Keep in mind that the lightpipe connection will only go up to 48K sample rate. When you use the 003 preamps or any other preamp(NOT the C24 preamps) the only thing you lose is the GAIN control on the C24. With your setup, I would do some recording to compare the DigiMax preamps with the C24 preamps. If the DigiMax sounds better(or different) I would probably use the DigiMax preamps for 1 set of 8 inputs and then use the other set of 8 from the C24 for convenience. If the C24 preamps sound fine to you(and they may do just that), then using all 16 C24 preamps and going line level to your interface/DigiMax would be the simple and convenient setup. Personally, I would skip a patchbay to avoid the extra connections(which are all a possible source of BAD connection). I would also sell the Antares unit and get a good tuning program(Melodyne is my choice). Just my 2 cents

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave