View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 10:05 PM

Default Re: 11.2.1.203 - Session save copy makes new files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted Music View Post
Im very confused...

"Copy the original audio files" as you say... will make new files that are copies of the ones you said for it to copy... and since they are copies on a particular date they are time stamped accordingly.

Maybe Ill have to try this myself and see the result but Im not getting it.

I think the only option is to reference the old files or make copies. I don't see any other option possible... certainly not the way I'm reading what you wrote... maybe I'm misunderstanding but to me that works as expected.

If a session is referencing audio files, that were made some other day (week, or year), PT should not create new files (new creation dates and modification dates that is) when simply copying a session to another location. This creates tons of unnecessary media that needs to be backed up. It doesn't need to create new media, as it's referencing it fine without modifying anything while working with the audio in an edit session.

Older versions of PT used to have this problem whenever saving a session copy, and we had to do Finder-level workarounds to prevent creating brand new media. This has been working correctly in PT for several years and versions, but PT11 is now creating new files again, instead of effectively doing a Finder-level copy which it has been doing for quite some time.

This would not apply of course if you're converting audio when copying, or consolidating. But when doing a simple copy with audio, there is no need to create any new audio files at that stage.