View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Artist Series - How well does it control plugins

That was my big question too, since those four plus four parameters HUI could control were a PITA.
Today I received my HD9 upgrade, so the first thing I tried was the new plug-in parameter contol.

And......it's working better than anticipated.
They did it a little different from Logic's or Cubase's EuCon control: they didn't simply map out all the plug-in parameters to the rotary encoders, they're following a more logical pattern.

For example most EQ plug-ins I tried (MDW, Sonnox, Waves RenEQ, Q10, Pultec, V-Series etc.) always map the same parameters to the first 8 rotary encoders: LF freq, LF gain, LM freq, LM gain, MF freq, MF gain, HF freq, HF gain. The next MC Mix shows additional parameters like input/output gain, a 5th eq band, but it'll leave other controls empty that don't belong to the eq section (in the case of the SSL channel for example).

That way you don't have to search the desired functions for every other plug-in. The downside is that you have to switch the "freq" encoder using the "on" button to make it control Q, since by default there is no encoder controlling Q on the different eq bands.

One exeption i found is the Waves SSL channel, though: here the first page consits of LM Q, LM freq, LM gain, MF Q, MF freq, MF gain, HPF, LPF. The second page then has controls for the lo and hi shelving bands and the switches to bell. But again no dynamics controls on the eq pages of the plug-in.

I think this is really great news, it feels a little bit like using the EQ/dyn section on the D-Control. I'm happy!

Hope this helps,
Toby