View Single Post
Old 09-05-2003, 07:40 AM

Default OT: Need iTunes Music Store Equivalent

Hate to ask this here, but I know the DUC will be the place to get an informed answer. I can't believe how incredibly difficult it has been to try to be honest... and BUY songs online.

I work on Pro Tools with Macs, but my internet/home machine is a PC running 98. I found a few sites like buymusic.com, but they require Windows Media Player 9. I can only go up to 7.1. After many installs and hours later, WMP finally (inexplicably) worked... except the burner plug-in doesn't recognize my CD recorder... so I can't convert the WMA files to a CD audio format within the program. And since the files have licenses built-in, I can't convert them outside of the program either using a simple converter like MP3 to WAV. I've tried all kinds of work-arounds.

I just need to buy some some songs for a wedding. I don't want a subscription service. I'd prefer straight-up mp3s, since the WMAs have been a major headache. I suppose EasyCD Creator or Nero could convert them, but then maybe not if they're licensed, and that's $70-80 just to find out. Things like Kazaa seems too sketchy as far as privacy and security. The concept of Win Media Player was fine... it just isn't working. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it, although I'm not very hopeful since I've already searched the net to death. I'm THIS close to buying a new AMD machine.

Curt