View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Issue with Kontakt in Pro Tools 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuamt90 View Post
Hello to everyone, this is my very first post. I am somewhat experienced with Pro Tools, having been a user since PT9.

Today for the first time I came across an issue that I spent nearly 6 hours trying to fix and have searched up and down for a solution. I use kontakt Player with drum sample libraries and route each drum to its own track using multi-outputs. Up until today I could route to 16 stereo channels. In the kontakt window this would show for example the kick drum as stereo out 1|2, the snare as 3|4 etc all that way up to 31|32. I could then route new stereo instrument tracks with a kontakt channel as an input.

When opening a session I discovered several of the drums weren’t playing so I checked the outputs and was only mysteriously only able to route 10 stereo outs and not 16. I have tried my usual routing method in both ableton 9 and Logic Pro x. It seems to work just fine on both of those DAWs. I have the very latest versions of both PT18 and Kontakt 5. Is there some sort of option in PT that allows me to recognize a 16X stereo plugin, much like logic, which allows loadable routing output options when selecting a plugin to load?

* I have already contacted Native Instruments about this issue and they suggested trying other DAWs, as that worked for me, I came here for further assistance!
Check the output.cfg file you're using - it may have been corrupted or changed somehow. A long time ago I created output.cfg files to do 8 stereo output pairs and another with 16 stereo output pairs from Kontakt 5. It took some messing about to get it to work right as supposedly there's a limit to the number of stereo outs the pairing of PT & Kontakt can handle. Following the instructions NI has isn't easy and is (or at least was) wrong in parts.

You can set your custom output.cfg file as a default when using Kontakt 5 in PT or you can change it at will. If you want send me an email (can't attach files to a PM) and I'll send you the two output.cfg files I created - maybe they'll help you out.

edit for additional:
Don't feel bad about the response you got from NI support as they are blissfully ignorant of how PT works. A long time ago I sent them a support request asking about using their plugins as AudioSuite plugs in PT and they had no idea what AudioSuite even was. They sent me instructions for using the plugins as regular inserts.

QAPLA!