View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Help! I need a file. Avid DS op here!

It is interesting, your workflow that you describe, i would think that for anything long format, you would mix in 12 minute reels, max. at least this is how we did it back when I did long format, which was not that long ago.

I am frankly shocked to hear you speak of the Symphony as being the one responsible for the drift. I have been a sound mixer for long and short format, then migrated to Online Editor, so I know Pro Tools well, and I know Symphony even better. Symphony was one of the most solid machine Avid ever built, or ever will build. While Pro Tools is a fine piece of software, I'd have to say that I found the sync issues back in Online to usually be the fault of the Sound dept. But again, with all due respect, there could be so many other fishy things in the room, right? And I really do believe in finishing with the "reels" workflow, even if to tape.

Our DS is cool, quite a step from the Symphony, so much more capability. The language is very elegant and the philosophies, while strange at first, gradually graduate to genius. I hve had no problems like what you describe, no problems major, except one HUGE HUGE issue. Auto save doesnt seem to work. Every five minutes it does something, but it certainly doesnt sace my sequence nor does it seem to write an attic or session backup file anywhere else on the computer! I have gone white knuckled and angry at loosing many hours of fine work!