View Single Post
Old 01-27-2003, 11:07 AM

Default Re: OT need help/advise installing new sytem drive PLEEEEEZE!!

Ya, give it a go. The install procedures seem to not always go exactly according to the company's directions, sometimes. I remember having to muddle through adding this Maxtor (my write drive)

You are trying to make a new drive bootable first, so whether your other drive has Windows on it or not is irrelevant to the new drive. It has to be bootable, which means a bootable partition created and the disk formatted to FAT32.

Then once you've got it that far you can copy the contents of the old drive over, so see if this WD doohickey will get your new drive formatted and partitioned then see if it has/will go to that second copy-step.

I am assuming how you've got this set up is:

-with the new drive jumpered as 'cable select' (or as Master) and at the end of the ATA cable, and the former primary drive now also configured for 'cable select' (or jumper it as slave, either way should produce the same results. Just do either both as 'cable select' or as Master-Slave. Don't mix the two jumper configs- This also assumes your machine has an 80-wire ATA cable and not the older 40-wire {which will not do 'cable select, BTW} and have the second (old) drive plugged into the second ATA connector.

...then you should be able to start the machine with the boot floppy in there and get to work.

PS
Might want to make sure your BIOS is set for 'auto detect'-ing hard drives if there is a hitch in 'seeing' both the drives.

If the WD utility will not perform the low-level partition/formatting, then you'll have to do it using the DOS fdisk tool that should be on your Windows rescue-boot disk.