View Single Post
Old 11-22-2021, 08:30 AM

Default Re: MIDI Controllers Showing Up, But No Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post

Are you trying to use the 2 keyboards at the same time on the same track? I've never tried that and don't know how PT handles that (if it can). Let's strip this down to one keyboard for the moment and go from there. First go to PT Prefs and the MIDI page. For 'Default Through Instrument' make sure that 'first selected MIDI track' is selected. Then insert the vi (PT does not use vst plugins but aax format) of choice on a stereo instrument track. Select a sound in the vi and play and you should hear something. If not in the view menu for the edit screen select instrument view and check that the MIDI routing is correct.
Yes you can use multiple controllers at the same time, as long as they are all configured as I described, and are set to their own midi channels. I ran a Yamaha Motif es8 on midi channels 2 thru 16(minus channel 10), a Roland TD-10 kit(on channel 10) and a 3rd keyboard on channel 1. I often would track piano(via the Motif), drums and organ(via the 3rd keyboard) all at once.

A little more info for those new to this: the term VST is often mistakenly used to refer to a virtual instrument plugin(VST is a Steinberg plugin format). VI is a more appropriate term for an instrument plugin. FWIW, my Preferences has the default midi instrument set to None(but this does require the track to be in record-ready for it to make sound). Showing "Instruments"(View menu>Mix window) is needed so you can assign controllers and midi channels for using multiple controllers together.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave