View Single Post
Old 01-13-2003, 10:21 AM

Default Re: who uses the renaissance compressor in mastering?...and some other mastering stuff...

Amen Pete. I just wonder about why you dont try to get a little volume boost out of the ren compressor as well, why the need to make sure theres no volume change? Also...do you use the ren followed by a limiter? L1 maybe? Thats where I want to make sure im not doing too much squashing....I need to go back and check the ren comp limter meter but im thinking that I had it set so that the limiter wasnt even being triggered...maybe 3 db reduction at the most on my reduction meter. Very slight, but I got a noticable volume and "punch" increase with just the ren compressor alone, with the settings on "arc", "electro" and "smooth" to make sure the compressor wasnt holding on too long. Then the L1 just really helped the mix explode.

What im more concerned with is EQ in the mastering stage...I dont want to overdo it but sometimes i do find that Im boosting or sucking out 3 or or more DB at a time, which it seems that a lot of people are opposed too. I havent been doing this long enough to feel completely confident in every action I take, despite how good I THINK it sounds. And like I said, I always feel like sucking out around 400-500 hz really improves the overall sound of my mixes no matter what e qing I do during tracking and the mix. Can anyone offer some thoughts? Thanks.