View Single Post
Old 03-22-2021, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Automatically Copy Files on Import Preference should be default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reml@P View Post
I also teach Pro Tools. However, if you use the import audio file menu and choose "copy" (not the default "add") there really shouldn't be a problem.

I think a lot of students get themselves in a mess because they naturally drag and drop, something Pro Tools doesn't seem to like when moving sessions between systems.
All students at our school had their own hard drives with their projects on them and were required to work on different computers across campus at different production studios and on their own computers. Then they would show up at their private lessons and often be missing files. The biggest culprit was that they dragged and dropped files (loops, exports from another sequencer such as Logic) into Pro Tools on a computer that did not have this option checked.

But beyond students.... I now don’t teach and I have clients show up all the time with sessions that are missing audio files because their preference wasn’t checked on their home computer and there was no way possible that I am going to be able to teach all Pro Tools users I’ll ever come into contact that they need to go in and check that preference.

I decided to post this today because I saw a post on a Facebook Pro Tools group where someone was devastated because they worked in a studio that was now closed and they had an important session coming up and they were missing audio files. A couple months ago I had someone else reach out to me because they were missing session files from working on multiple computers and they were devastated because they couldn’t find where the files were. While I know how to find where the files are, etc. It is a huge problem for many people, especially newer Pro tools users.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio