View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 10:07 AM

Default Re: What is really behind all of this change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsexton View Post
I can see the advantage to payments coming in on a more predictable basis instead of having to launch a whole new sales campaign every time you have an update. I can also see how this could let the programmers work at a more leisurely pace instead of the deadline of a new release and then fixing all the bugs created by being pushed for the deadline.
Two thoughts.

Lawn mowers and Bar-B-Que pits.

I was at Home Depot and they had a large display outside with seasonal products. These companies have figured out a way to stay in business through the times when their products aren't selling. Few people buy a lawn mower in January.

So Avid needs to find a way to run the business between purchased updates. Wanting a steady stream of orders is a nice goal but you need to sell products we want to buy, not forcing purchases based on your timetable.

I can't imagine anyone buying PT12 if they already have PT11. Perhaps later when features are added but there is not enough new and exciting. Improvements "under the hood" when it is not explained doesn't get me to buy.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.