View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 08:23 AM

Default What is really behind all of this change?

It's no secret that Avid isn't just bursting at the seams with profit.

Knowing this, it shouldn't surprise anyone that they are making changes to rectify this problem. After stepping back and looking at the whole thing I believe I understand what they are trying to do.

First of all, if they can get everyone on the annual support plan cash flow is better. I get that. I can see the advantage to payments coming in on a more predictable basis instead of having to launch a whole new sales campaign every time you have an update. I can also see how this could let the programmers work at a more leisurely pace instead of the deadline of a new release and then fixing all the bugs created by being pushed for the deadline.

Second, as much as TDM was a great system HDX was the necessary architecture change to move to 64 bit. The real problem is that many TDM users for the most part are staying put with their existing HD3+ systems. I think Avid is doing whatever they can to finally get them off of the dime! If they can force that migration to HDX then they figure everything else will fall into place.

I don't like being forced into anything but perhaps this is whats needed to keep moving forward...

Thoughts?