View Single Post
Old 09-03-2022, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Mac Studio doesn't see converters, but sees Thunderbolt chassis

and adding to those good points

... did you remember to install the Power cable to the HDX card?

... and if its a Sonnet Thunderbolt 3 chassis with a PCI 2/3 switch on the mother board inside the chassis that needs to be in the PCIe 2 position.

... Some chassis like Sonnet Thunderbolt 2 chassis or Thunderbolt 3 eGPU series chassis don't need that switch (cough, as I recently learnt). Make sure that chassis is qualified by the vendor to run with HDX. If not a qualified Sonnet chassis (and only some of theirs will work) you may be out of luck, I'm not sure most other vendors care or have done the work.

... Make sure you are using a genuine Thunderbolt 3 (i.e. from Apple or Sonnet.. came with the chassis) or Thunderbolt 4 cable (from Apple, or look for qualified claims/labels on the package) to connect a Thunderbolt 3 chassis... lots of folks hit problems because they are using a USB only cable. Yes, they all look the same, have USB-C connector at both ends, and a USB only cable will never work.

... in the Mac System Info utility what shows up under PCI devices? The card should show up there, as pci11af,ef70, regardless of driver or security/permissions issues. If not then its more likely a hardware issue. If it shows up there but not a playback engine option then you likely have a driver install and/or security/permissions issue.

I believe there *might* be outstanding issues on HDX card support/bugs/stability on Apple Silicon systems that folks are running into and I am not up on the very latest, I don't run HDX myself. Make sure you look at all the other recent threads.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-03-2022 at 10:49 AM.