View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 06:20 AM

Default 3 Pro Tools issues that should be the simplest tasks of any DAW

Hello,
I know there are other threads regarding the specific issues I'm about to list but would like to reiterate them.
Specifically, about the difficulty in carrying out simple tasks when composing & arranging MIDI clips.

Here are the main issues that are making my compositional efforts rather difficult:

1. Pro Tools is not pasting/duplicating MIDI clips accurately. (random, not always; happens at various tempos)

I'd like to be able to duplicate each verse & chorus quickly. (I usually Alt + click & drag)
Instead, a random amount of bass, drum & keyboard notes are getting shifted out of line with the original pattern.
Quite often, this happens to only half of an 8 bar section.
Mainly when there are tempo changes in between the copy & paste location. (Instrument tracks are in tick mode)

2. (Formerly #3)

There are times when I simply want to insert or cut a single bar or section.
Cutting & inserting is as easy as it should be but then I discover that all the instrument tracks have again been altered.
I have to inspect each clip and realign about half of the entire composition on every MIDI instrument.

3. Sometimes when pasting a quantized 8 bar clip part onto the grid the first notes/chords of the NEXT quantized clip disappear.
I pay close attention to clip length as indicated in bars, beats & samples (as indicated in the green display) and the part I am moving reads 8 bars and the location being pasted to is 8 bars.
The clip that follows is also quantized so as not to be placed ahead of beat 1.
Still the first chord or note disappears sometimes.

I have to either drag the clip to make them re-appear or re-enter the note/chords all over again. Sometimes I can't even re-add a note on beat 1 without first creating a new consolidated clip.

This also happens when wanting to mute a selection of notes in a clip.
I'll select a group of notes to mute and the first note of the next clip also get muted.

Just wanted to express these things since the past couple of annual renewals didn't fix these issues.
I totally enjoy many other aspects and capabilities of Pro Tools but I'm having to work way too hard at these simple tasks.
And yet I still work at the envisioned composition no matter how long it takes.

I really don't want to re-learn workflows in any other DAW at this point.
Pro Tools has the features to do the job. Those features just aren't working like they used to before PT12.

Kind regards,
Mike

Last edited by take77; 05-14-2021 at 04:20 AM.