Thread: IK Multimedia?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 03:49 PM

Default Re: IK Multimedia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The fact that there's plenty of companies doing 32 bit AAXplugs now kind of blows your argument out of the water. And besides - who's to say 32 but plugs won't work in PT11 with a suitable bridge? Remember that one of the best bridge plugs for Sonar is not their own but jbridge (third party developer) so who's to say Avid needs to do one?
It does not 'blow anything out of the water'. I have not said its impossible, so (many) cases of companies doing this means nothing, clearly there are companies not doing 32 bit AAX now (many of them VI vendors), and the reasons some are and some are not is what I am presenting.

I also think spenner's comments are right on the money here. Even without the specifics he mentions, VI vendors have potentially a more work to do if they want to leverage 64 bit memory (and current actual large physical memory) , and maybe do other updates as well. Personally I really want to see Superior Drummer ready for 64 bits/AAX, and i would have been reassuring to see something in 32 bit AAX now.

I think the tone that has been set by Avid is that there will not be a 32 bit bridge (at least provided by them), and techncially I think that is a good idea for long-term ecosystem evolution and overall stability. I don't know enough about the AAX infrastructure to have a feel about how bridging will work. Avid might (or might not?) also want to avoid this and have ways of preventing/discouraging this.

Darryl