Thread: IK Multimedia?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
If this is truly the way IK is thinking - not apparently doing anything for AAX before PT11 comes out then they have the wrong way of doing things. Avid has AAX working in PT now - why wait?
Their thinking/excuse is likely that they do not want to go through the effort of doing a 32 bit AAX release that won't run with Pro Tools 11. The companies who did not move/commit early to do AAX face a smaller useful market life of a release on Pro Tools 10 so maybe we'll see more of these decisions.

Deciding to release, with all the productization and support costs is different than deciding to do a bring-up in engineering. It would be pretty surprising if any competent company would not at least be working on a test bring-up so they have a chance of releasing around when Pro Tools 11 gets to market and kills compatibility with their current RTAS products.

Sample based VI code may really benefit from 64 bit memory so for those products some vendors might just be focused on the Pro Tools 11 64 bit goal. The trouble is seeing behind the curtain at how much real work they are putting into AAX in development and testing now even if this won't be released.

But overall I would avoid rushing out and investing in plugins/software from IK and others playing this talk but no visible action game, at least with companies with shipping 32 bit AAX plugins today there is visible proof they have things really working and should be able to get to 64 bit support to be compatible with Pro Tools 11... (but then for expensive licenses I would like to know what the required 64 bit AAX upgrade will cost me to go to Pro Tools 11). BTW Avid folks have already noted here that the AAX SDK includes a 64 bit runtime test environment so developers can test their AAX code is ready for 64 bit.

Darryl