View Single Post
Old 01-27-2002, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Allen And Friends? Performance Tweaks?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> RME Site definitely discourages this. It puts more strain on the CPU. Just use 16 bit Color instead of 24 or 32bits. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's the reasons the author of the article says to be the reason of this tweak. I'm not so computer expert to get into the math of this, but I do notice a difference in performance on my system:

When the hard drive is accessing and retriveing data, it is able to grab some "extra" information that it views as sequentially necessary...basically, it figures you will need the next packet of information in addition to the specific data you asked for. This can be helpful if you are running only one application, but in the world of computer audio recording, you constantly need a variety of information from different areas of the disk. If the system is retrieving data thet it thinks you need, but don't, this can slow your system down tremendously definitely .

Maybe you want to give it a try to find out if it really improves performance; as I said above i noticed a difference.

L.G. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]