View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Promo for perpetual license holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberti1 View Post
I hear ya, I was toying with the idea of possibly purchasing a PT Carbon with the PT Ultimate perpetual license included. The offer states that the software has to be registered by 12/31/21. So, they could come out with a new PT version on 1/1/23 that has different terms of use that could block you from reinstatement. At that point, you would have to buy a new perpetual license or go subscription. Of course, your current system would still work with your existing copy of PT but computers are changing so fast and it’s hard if not impossible to keep your OS form updating which could render your system incompatible.
I guess now I’m being a bit cynical. I’ve been using Pro Tools since version 4 and have put up with all the shenanigans from Digidesign and Avid over the years, but nothing compared to the betrayal that was the dropping of reinstatements and renewals. Now their slowly bringing things back but still no reinstatements. The $99 offer for the 1 year subscription is nice and all but I have no intentions on ever going subscription so it does nothing for me.

I really miss the simplicity of PT LE. You could just buy the piece of hardware and PT just works. I’ve owned AudioMedia III, Digi001, MBox, Digi002, Eleven Rack, and MBox Pro 3 and loved them all. The Digi001 was very special to me and is what made me really love Pro Tools and the Eleven Rack is the most amazing product that I can think of. It just needed a pro version with quality pres, converters, and ADAT IO.

I really do think Avid will eventually come around and offer some kind of reinstalment for expired perpetual licenses. But in the meantime, the PT Carbon is looking pretty good. The Perpetual PT Ultimate 1 year updates could get me through the Monterey and new Apple silicon updates. I just hope that Windows gets the AVB software stack within my active update period. If not, it looks like they do have a renewal for active perpetual Ultimate users. Avid, please don’t take that away.