Thread: Workflow
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Workflow

Id say one of the greatest things about moving into the box (Using Pro Tools) is that you can still use your MIDI sequencers and controllers to not only play and record the midi (that can be edited in pro Tools and altered to your liking) but also as samplers (playing back the sounds from the machine...

As before you would have to have everything perfectly programmed and then you could record the multitrack audio back... its EVEN easier now as you can play (say using your external Midi sequencer/sampler) the MIDI while recording it into pro tools and just loop the midi back out afterwards to trigger the external device to play the same thing you just triggered... the upside is that all you have to do now is adjust the midi in PT and the sampler will playback the adjusted midi.. shorten a note ad a note, change the pitch of a note, change the entire sound in the external sequencer while PT is playing back the midi to trigger it...

It is an endless amount of opportunity and like I said you can still use your external stuff... just need a MIDI I/O or MIDI to USB device to do it...

I use an external MIDI controller (Basically a keyboard) to record midi into pro tools and trigger Virtual Insrtuments (Basically digital versions of synths that you can use inside Pro Tools), I can assign the knobs and faders to any midi perameter I want in my Virtual Instrument... say I want to adjust the "cut off" and record the movements.. you can "arm" the "cut off" for automation in your Virtual Instrument and put the track in "Write" so it writes the automation movement... play the session back and adjust my "cut off" know using my external synth in real time.... then by placing the track in "Read" it will now playback all the cutoff changes I made.... best part... you dont like it.. just redo it or write automation over the existing... Its endless as far as what you can do...