View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Waves DTS Neural Surround Plugin

The centre and lfe channels are the two most mis-used in my opinion.

To make a fold down comparable, you have to use the centre channel on music and FX. If their presence is clouding the dialogue on the centre channel, turn them ALL down.

If you only ride the centre level that way intelligibility complaints lie.

Remember that the centre channel is also an important front phase "anchor". To bed in ADR and Foley properly, you have to use centre Atmos, FX and most importantly reverbs. If you try to match stereo or 4.0 / 6.0 reverbs to mono dialogue, you will get a shifting dialogue image and "wrap round" of reverbs and FX that are meant to be bedding in.

Above all, NEVER rely on a phantom centre or dialogue divergence. Phantom centre only works in the listening sweet spot, which in a lot of home installations is very small, as it is in most big cinemas. We have a centre channel for a reason. It anchors dialogue, FX and even music to the centre. For 80% of the audience, ADR will never be believable if dialogue comes out of the centre but the Foley, FX and reverb that are supposed to be giving the illusion that it's the original sound, are coming out of the left and right, or even worse wrapping around the rear.

If you rely on dialogue divergence, then that same proportion of the audience who are outside the sweet spot, won't ever think that the dialogue is coming from the middle.

Just my tuppence worth as a mixer who's worked in surround for 26 years, and worked with DTS kit since '97 (I think).

DTS have always been great to work with. The other main player has always been very helpful too.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors

Last edited by 8dB.co.uk; 05-23-2016 at 06:36 PM.