Thread: RIP Dusty Hill
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2021, 04:22 AM

Default Re: RIP Dusty Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Thanks for your link:
“Hill had been dealing with a health concern related to a hip issue as recently as Friday, the band revealed, adding that they were awaiting "a speedy recovery" and hoping to "have him back pronto."

La Grange was released in 1973 – that’s a long time for anyone to tote a heavy bass guitar, even without having Dusty’s hip problems
I think Tom Petty had serious back problems – toting a guitar certainly wouldn’t have helped him, either

Dusty – “way too early” – thanks for the ride, it was so much fun … you’ll be missed bigtime - thank goodness your music survives!

https://youtu.be/rG6b8gjMEkw

Jesus Just Left Chicago
As regards hip issues I found an article that mentioned he had hip surgery some years back. I know sometimes 'revisions' have to be done and that there is a recall on some hip replacement parts - don't know how extensive Dusty's hip work is/was.

As to weight - if a bass is balanced just right in it's construction the weight isn't all that much. I'm talking less than 10 pounds. Combine that with a proper wide strap and it's not bad at all.

Keep in mind that while ZZ Top's axes might look like a Les Paul, Fender Telecaster bass, Gretsch 6 string - they're not. Their guitar tech Elmore completely rebuilds/works over them. Except for the spinning furry guitars Dean Zelinsky built for them.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 07-29-2021 at 08:24 AM. Reason: changed 'is' to isn't