View Single Post
Old 05-04-2022, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Import MIDI tempo map to specific bar

Thanks for all the tips.

Midi import is a no go, whether clip list or direct.

The only (and far from elegant) solution I've found is:

create a new PT session from the stems exported from Studio One
import the .MID file previously exported from Studio One to this session to get the tempo map. Save and close

Open the main PT project, use Import Session Data, set the bar offset to (in this case) bar 77. Import from saved new session.

Then, renumber bars as PT has made imported offset bar to number 1. This also means anything midi on the timeline, gets moved. In this case it is only the second song in the project so I was able to move the midi parts back to the start but I'll have to see if there's a setting to stop this happening as later in the project this could cause all sorts of issues.

If the tempo changes weren't ramped it'd be easy enough to simply note the bar numbers and changes, and re-create, but I'm using ramped accels & rits so it seems this is going to be painfully slow.

Still, it works - so far.

Got to say I've been away from PT since PT 11 and just using a trial for now as I need to decide which DAW to do this Dolby Atmos project in. I have Cubase 12 but it's such a visual nightmare with all their windows etc, so thought I'd give PT another look. To be honest, last time I used PT11 on probably Sierra of my old 5.1 Mac Pro, its performance was not great.

I've hacked my MacPro to run Catalina (thanks DosDude) and Pro Tools 2021 is running really smoothly, very impressed - both by the improved resource use of PT, and by the fact that Apple want us to throw away perfectly good machines far too early in their lives....

Thanks again, if anyone can add ideas to this situation, importing tempo variable audio but needing a map for midi additions and click track for musicians overdubs etc, I'd be grateful.