View Single Post
Old 08-07-2022, 01:32 PM

Default Re: First experience with NVMe M.2 in enclosure - bad.

Thanks Richard - very useful feedback!

Any risk of data loss if/when ‘sleep’ works + is the connection otherwise stable/reliable? So do you have to shutdown/reboot every time you leave/return to the computer + does the dock stay constantly warm/hot?

Have Sonnet not been able to resolve this? Any idea if this is their own design or a generic board/chipset e.g. I see similar products from the likes of Sabrent and Orico but would rather pay a premium for quality, reliability and effective support. Have the Samsungs been ruled out as a cause for the sleep issue - I note that Western Digital appear to provide a Mac version of their SSD management software*, and this is used to control sleep behaviour, for example, whereas Samsung don’t offer Mac software (I have some Samsung SSDs myself)?

A few more questions, if I may ….

How do you find the Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSDs - is real-world performance combined with the Sonnet dock similar/close to the internal drive in the Studio?

Is the fan quiet + effective in keeping the unit cool(er) e.g. do you use fan control software and monitor actual temperatures?

Cheers! :)

[* Edit - checked and not compatible with WD SN850 model, which is closest equivalent to Samsung 980 Pro]

Last edited by Righty27; 08-07-2022 at 03:09 PM.