View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Multiple interfaces

Chatted it up with M-Audio earlier. Currently the Delta cards drivers are under some serious (and much needed) updating. It might be a good couple months before anything even remotely close to a private beta comes out. Unfortunately, this is what happens when companies get eaten and employees are "let go."

Currently, if you want to use PT9 with two Delta 1010's, you have to do it in Windows XP 32 bit, and you have to use driver version 5057v3. You can probably get away with using Vista 32 bit, using the same driver (5057v3). Only that driver will allow it to work.

If you want to be using Windows 7, you are SOL with Pro Tools for now. Until DAE and ASIO get overhauled, two cards have been giving me quite some trouble. I get a different error than the chaps at M-Audio have been getting, but we've both reached a similar conclusion:

PT9 will work with one Delta card. Throw a second card into the mix, and the DAE driver will not initialize when Pro Tools 9 starts. They were able to replicate that issue without any tweaking. If you disable one of the cards, like I did with M-Powered (and it worked), you will not have the same luck. PT9 somehow still fails to initialize with a card disabled. I get Assertion errors from it.

It's under revision, that's honestly the most I know. There isn't going to be any sneaking around this, because the Windows 7 drivers had revisions to fix certain power on/off issues that the older drivers display.

I use Reaper and Adobe Audition with both Delta cards without a problem, and even in Linux I can use both cards in Ardour. I'm sure if I had a Mac G5, I could get them running in Logic and other apps as well.

I just picked up a ProFire 2626 to replace an older FW Solo, and I find the new interface to be excellent.

If you're looking for a more traditional style mixer based unit, Mackie's new FW mixers do look very promising, and are PT compatible (and also have custom drivers for M-Powered 8 users).

In terms of internal solutions, I haven't been looking very hard, I don't intend up upgrading my current setup for a while. If I do, it might be to either RME or MoTU. Not sure yet, the Deltas serve me well, provided I select my hardware carefully.

15" MacBook Pro 8,2|2.2GHz i7|16GB RAM|750GB drive
Mac OS 10.8.5 x64

Pro Tools 11 with M-Audio ProFire 2626 on both machines