View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Contemplating renewing my PT 12 subscription...but

I only use PT for major mixes and when a project needs a lot of audio edits, otherwise I'm on Cubase Pro. If Steinberg did something about the mix GUI looks I'd use it for all my mixing.

I still haven't got used to doing serious audio editing in Cubase but I'm getting there; it won't be long before I'm using Cubase for all my work (even with that mix interface). In the last year it's seen a lot of stuff added (v9 and 9.5). What have we seen from Avid in that time?

Any one who does any kind of MIDI work really ought to check Cubase out though - it's literally light years ahead of PT. I know I was amazed when I first tried it I hadn't realised what I'd been missing.

Avid, with their subscription/support/ripoff call-it-what-you-will plan just haven't delivered what they promised.

I renewed my $99 vanilla plan last month (I let my HD lapse as soon as the new pricing was announced and for what I'd have gotten for 3 lots of $399 I'm so glad I did) and Avid have 1 more year to convince me to stick with vanilla but so far they're well short of the mark as these days there's simply too many other options to keep faith. 11HD gives me everything I now use PT for so unless Avid pull something out of the hat before this time next year there's simply no reason to give them any more of my cash & it'll go to developers who actually give you a decent return.

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256