View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 08:10 AM

Default Re: MIDI gets recorded early

I've been experiencing this issue *knowingly* for about a year but have been *unknowingly* been experiencing for about 8+ years. Please, everyone on this thread complain to Avid. I did and actually convinced them to give me a free year's subscription!

One question though: do people using HDX still experience this issue??? I'm on HD | Native.

This is such a basic function and it being off (without telling us) has wasted countless hours of our time. Countless great performances have come out wrong because of their programming bugs. AH!

The only way to really SEE it, is to do a test of printing audio of your midi performance while you play it and then compare the midi notes to the audio. The midi notes are ALWAYS ahead although the amount changes (seems to be based on HW Buffer and plugins you're running). My performances always felt off and I just assumed, "damn, I feel like I'm behind the beat but I guess I'm just not as good as I thought!" I shouldn't have doubted myself because whenever I would record in Ableton it would feel exactly how I played it and it felt AMAZING. Again, I didn't realize what was happening until I ran a test, which I imagine most people don't do.

Yes, many people who are JUST composers use other DAWs. I get that. But I do sound design, editing, AND scoring and it doesn't make sense for me to do one project in different DAWS. I'm sure many of you are in the same boat and that's why you still record midi in Pro Tools.

AVID must fix this or issue a huge warning that's something like, "If you choose to record midi in Pro Tools, be aware that the notes will not render where you actually played them."

Please, everyone complain and demand a free subscription until the issue is fixed.