View Single Post
Old 03-18-2023, 10:04 PM

Default iLOK bypass when upgrading to 9? Is there a workaround for creating a virtual USB

When I first purchased PT le 8 in 2009, hardware was required to run it. I 1 upgraded to PT 9(and a new computer)10yrs ago.

I had to enter a crossgrade activation code that needed to go onto a USB key. Because PT 9 needs iLOK and I didn't have one in 8, somehow tech support was able to help me create a virtual iLOK that license manager recognized. I was able to transfer my licenses onto this software only iLOK, it worked great np. I need to know how to create or access a virtual iLOK like this.
Is there a workaround for creating a virtual USB key?
I upgraded to PT HD and I had no problem with iLOK registration or license, instillation just went right through. 8 months go I bought a perpetual license for the PT v21.7.0 I'd been using for a year. Everything was fine until earlier this week...
For some reason when I opened protools I got the purple 'AVID iLOK enabled' screen with the quit or activate buttons. When I click to activate it sends me to login to my license account. I login and it says there's no license to activate.
I have these licenses and they are active, however they are on a virtual USB my software doesn't recognize. Ipurchased a blank iLOK USB hoping to transfer the licenses from myactive virtual iLOK to this new physical iLOK without success. I tried dragging the license from my active virtual iLOK to the physical USB but I get a "Source location is not connected" error message.
I have no idea why it's asking for activation again when I have an active perpetual license that's been fine for many months..(?)and the lack of need for iLOK because of upgrading is fricken frustrating)

I*have and ilok.com acct with my licenses registered there. I was able to contact support there and they told be I needed a USB key. I bought one but can't transfer active licenses off my old iLOK account because License manager can't find the active virtual iLOK.

Ideas how I can get protools to authorize from a virtual USB? Any help is appreciated..
-T

I have multiple screenshots of my protools dialog screens and iLOK manager for reference.