View Single Post
Old 02-20-2023, 06:30 AM

Default PowerMac to MacPro

I've been running ProTools LE8 on G5 Powermacs using an MBox2Pro for a long time. I've been through at least 3 computers over the last 15+ years. Most of the time the RAM fails and I can get another computer on Ebay for less than new RAM. Now I need to replace my current PowerMac G5 which will no longer boot. I'm seeing some deals on Mac Pros and wondering if they are backwards capable to the MBox2Pro. As I understand it, I could not update from LE8 unless I stepped up to the next platform (MacPro) at which point my interface would be obsolete. I am perfectly fine and at home with the set up I've always had. It suits my needs perfectly and I can do anything I need to do but if I could upgrade the computer and use the same software and interface then I could at least entertain the idea of upgrading the entire studio. Does anyone have some insight into this?

Typically I've been able to avoid reinstalling ProTools by simply putting my previous hard drive in the new computer and resetting a few things. Would a MacPro boot with OS 10.5.8? This probably seems a little convoluted but I'm kind of set in my comfortable ways.