View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 07:33 AM

Default Re: HDX or Native in this scenario

I've been with Pro Tools native for yearly 20 years. I've never had an issue with latency for recording, especially as native power has come on leaps and bounds and buffer sizes can drop accordingly. I owned a Mix system for a period but that was more to have access to the TDM only plugins that were not uncommon at that time. These days it is common to have native only plugins. I certainly don't miss doubled prices of TDM plugins or the expense of the DSP cards to run them.

I've recorded numerous bands ensemble using native systems. I've never had issue with latency unless I have had the buffer set to something like 512 or 1024. 256 or lower has never been met with questions of delayed audio from the musicians. I've often tracked with virtual amp plugins and EQ and compression and unless using the odd plugin which needs too many CPU cycles to process, never had an issue.

If you need an autotune type plugin for a vocalist for some reason then try Waves Tune Real-Time. It is low latency enough to use live for sure, easy to set up and relatively inexpensive. I personally think vocalists would perform better without correction at the time of performance but if they insist...

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6