View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 with Pro Tools 12

I am having issues here. Bought this very nice second-hand Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 to replace the DIGI 003 Rack I have used since I bought it new in 2007.

The Saffire is in mint condition, looks like hardly ever used so I don't think there are any hardware problems. But I am getting sporadic and varying problems in Pro Tools 12, specifically, ADAT channels 5/6 & 7/8 keep malfunctioning, loss of audio and/or distorted signal. ADAT 1/2 & 3/4 are fine.

Then I am getting Pro-Tools "lock up", i.e the Play button on transport suddenly ceases to function, rewind etc all ok, but useless because play is lost. Boot up required to clear the problem.

Occasionally also Pro-Tools surprisingly quits with a message that the Firewire device has changed sample rate for no apparent reason.

I also had issues after the latest batch of WIN 10 updates, luckily I was backed up and have disabled auto updates [if anyone else is experiencing similar problems I can tell you how to disable the auto updates in WIN 10].

Disappointing here because the Focusrite does what it says on the tin "focuses right", great sounding unit and if I can get rid of these niggles I'll be well satisfied that I have swapped it out for the 003 which in comparison is simply outclassed by the Liquid Saffire.

Finally, and I have actually been on to Focusrite about this and they said it was "my ears" meaning I must have cotton wool in 'em or be deaf due to years of exposure to Nugent, but my experience with the Liquid pre-amps is somewhat underwhelming, reading SOS reviews they are 'sposed to be the bees knees with "many different flavours", but my ears (admittedly battered and bruised but still very acute), I can't tell a difference between any of them, and the harmonics control has no effect whatsoever.

I summing up Mi 'Lud, I am coming to a conclusion here that this is all software related and perhaps this unit is missing a Firmware update or something. I have the latest MixControl software installed so unless that is buggy can't see it being the root of this plethora of problems...

Interested if anyone has remedies or has experienced similar irritations ?