View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Evergreen Audio Design Group

Default Re: Satellite and Video LE Link. Will this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Malcangi View Post
My questions are as follows:

1. Will this linked/independant setup actually work?

2. Will the D-Control be fully functional when operating a satellite system or will the SFX editor (for example) have to keep running through to the SFX suite, jump into Administrator mode (so he/she can see the video) to write automation or change the settings of a plugin and then switch back to Satellite mode and run back through to the dubbing theatre?

3. Can anyone see any potential workflow problems with a facility setup this way?

4. I can already see a bit of a problem with the global reverb. Lets say I have a TC6000 Reverb in the dubbing theatre. Am I correct in thinking that I could only send the stems to the reverb from the dubbing theatre PTHD system, not individual channels (with individual send levels) from any of the satellite systems? I suppose I could setup a patchbay, patch each suite into the TC6000 as required and record the reverb return into the dubbing theatre system. It would work but final dubbing workflow would be pants! For a better workflow each suite would have to have it's own TC6000 but that would put a serious dent in anyone's budget! Can anyone think of an elegant but more cost effective solution? If not, does anyone know of a retailer with a "buy 1 get 3 free" deal on TC6000s?
Question 1:

Yes, each of your systems should nicely work independently. You can start and stop playback from any of these systems.

Question 2:

Your D|Control will be fully functional with the system it is connected to.

You can configure a D|Control to operate in "multi-mode" which allows the D|Control to switch Pro Tools system with a push of a button. This switching is very fast. It is akin to banking faders. Multi-mode supports controlling up to 4 Pro Tools systems at one time.

You can find more information about multi-mode in the D-Control Addendum v7.4-7.4cs1 (PDF). http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=22961

Question 3:

Once you get around all of your i/o routing, I expect this system to work just fine.