View Single Post
Old 08-11-2022, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Intermediate question regarding the use of more than one Master Fader

My 2 cents:
#1-the article is 12 years old and lots of changes have come to pass(see #2).
#2-If you are concerned about clipping, work in the 32 bit mode for the massive increase in headroom.
#3-some general stuff; Pro Tools can make multiple master faders, but only 1 can be assigned to any path. So, I often have 1 for the mix(as most everyone does anyway) and I sometimes add a few for my headphone mix outputs. If you want to have "sub-masters" for groups of tracks(like drums, keyboards, BGV's, etc), you would not use actual Master Tracks, but instead would use bussing. Bussing used to be done by setting track outputs to a bus and feeding the bus to an Aux track, making the Aux track fader act as a "sub-master" for that batch of tracks. These days, most will use a Routing Folder track for the same purpose(the Routing Folder Track becomes a "sub-master" for tracks in that folder). These 2 methods work the same, but have different advantages. Routing Folder advantage; you can collapse the tracks to clean up your screen(very handy for those running hundreds of tracks). Aux Track bus routing advantage; the Aux Track can be moved independent of other tracks so you could choose to move them around(maybe you want to have all your "sub-master" tracks together for mixing). VCA tracks can perform the same "sub-master" control, but can't take plugins to process the tracks under their control

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave