View Single Post
Old 12-10-2020, 02:12 PM

Default Moving a fade will mess up your automation(!)

Running into a big issue here.

When automation is written to the full length of a clip, and you trim that clip (shorter or extend it), the automation moves along with the length of the clip along it's borders.
But when you put a fade in/fade out on the clip and you drag the fade (using the hand/smart tool), the automation does NOT follow anymore.

Steps to reproduce:

- Make sure 'automation follows edit' is turned on (default).
- Create a 1 minute pink noise clip.
- Trim it down to 30 seconds.
- Create a fade in and fade out.
- Select the clip, switch to volume view and drag the volume down of the entire clip.
- Switch back to waveform view and drag the fades outward with the hand tool to the original 1 minute length.

Before: the volume would be down the entire length or the clip because the automation would follow edit along the clips borders.
Now: the automation does not follow the edit when you drag a fade with the hand tool. It only does when trimming a clip using the trim tool (which is not preferred when working with fades).

This issue is present in PT Ultimate versions:

This issue is not present in PT Ultimate versions:
and pretty much every single version before at least down to PT 6 TDM.

It is a major bug for me since it's not only volume automation, but also panning and insert automation. When cutting background tracks and panning them to the sides/surrounds, the panning now suddenly jumps front to back after I extended the clip a bit. Same goes for insert automation.

I'm starting to believe this is a 'feature' since it has been like this in the last 6 releases.

Is anyone else bothered by this or is this a lone crusade?

Mac OS 10.13.6, PT Ultimate 2020.11
Clean install, trashed prefs, etc etc.

Last edited by Farhoof; 03-31-2021 at 01:53 AM. Reason: added new versions to the list