View Single Post
Old 07-02-2003, 03:42 PM

Default Re: PCI-X Compatibility

7/2/03 FROM - http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/
ATTO Comments on PCI card Compatibility with G5 PCI-X models - I was out from about noon until late last night but had written ATTO yesterday to ask if they could clear up the confusion over compatibility with their PCI SCSI cards and the new G5 systems with PCI-X slots (the upper 2 models have PCI-X slots, the low-end version does not). Here's their reply on the 5V/3.3V confusion and notes on compatibility:

"Mike- We've also noticed that the number of questions regarding 3.3V versus 5V PCI signalling have increased dramatically over the past several months. Within the past 3 months, several Wintel machines have released that are 3.3V-only PCI-X. Now Apple has joined the 3.3V only fray with the introduction of the G5. ( 1.8GHz and dual 2GHz models, 1.6GHz model has only standard PCI 33MHz/64bit slots-Mike )

Two things need to be considered to determine compatibility: motherboard slot and adapter slot. Motherboard PCI slots will typically be either 5V or 3.3V and are keyed as such. Our adapters are keyed for 5V only or have Universal connectors. We do not have any cards that are keyed for 3.3V only, but in the future that may change. Currently, the ExpressPCI DC and PSC cards are keyed for 5V and will work in any 5V PCI slot. However, since the G5 is 3.3V only, these cards will not fit in that system.
Our Ultra3, Ultra320 and all Fibre Channel adapters use Universal PCI connectors. So, these will work in either 3.3V or 5V PCI slots (or PCI-X slots, too, which are typically 3.3V). All of these cards will work in the existing Mac systems or the new G5.

Peter J. Donnelly
Product Manager, Host Adapters
ATTO Technology, Inc.

(He later wrote )
I am planning on putting together a tech note and posting it to our web site to better explain what works with what, but hopefully my abridged answer below helps explain things. If not, please let me know and I'll try to clarify. Also, when we release the tech note, I'll let you know so that you can link to it, if you'd like."