View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 09:58 PM

Default Re: VENUE Stage Rack as a Splitter?

Digital aplit is not ideal for FOH-Monitor scenario due to lack of individual control of Pre-amp levels. But if a "Digital offset" feature would be avaiable on a "Slave" console (monitor) it could make it work. In other words, Master console would have pre-amp control and Slave would have offset, both on the "Gain" selection on the encoder.
A little bit of smart coding would keep a record of the offset amount between the two consoles and automatically adjust for pre-amp gain changes coming from master console. For example:
After FOH console sets preamp gain amount and Monitor console sets offset amount, any changes done from FOH to the gain would be inversely done to the offset level. Kind of +3db change from FOH equals -3dB offset at Monitors, so that way Monitor gain levels never changes if FOH engineer decides to play with gain... Gosh I hope that made sense.

Another idea was for the development of SRI "split" cards. In other words, the stage rack would have to be switched to a "Split Mode". In this mode the rack would make the SRI split cards run in a split mode, where input 1 on the card would parallel (isolated or not) to input 2. and then all odd number inputs would be assign to FOH and all even numbers to Monitor.

Both ideas don't sound impossible to be, but I don't know the implications of them. The first involves some pretty crasy coding and the second idea requires some design for a new product. I like the "SRI SPLIT" card idea better, because you can achieve complete independent control of pres and also use the stage rack in standard mode, which would give you more inputs.

Am I really dreaming here?? Its kind of late, so I don't expect any of this to make sense..... I'll read it tomorrow and see...