View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 11:45 AM

Default Corrupt HW buffer CPU Overload Spike

Since PT 12.8 I've had a new kind of bug related to the AAE 9173 cpu overload problem. This mostly happens with sessions that have high track counts and heavy plugin usage. A typical scenario is I'm playing back and the 9173 error happens, I click OK but than all the audio plays back very very distorted. Sometimes the 9173 error doesn't result in this but maybe 2 or 3 errors later it does. Until recently my remedy was quitting PT and restarting the program which does the trick. Since PT 2018 the problem is worse. Happens more often. Sometimes I don't even get the AAE 9173 error message, it just stops and then plays back distorted. Getting more frustrated and not wanting to deal with the 2 minute quitting and restarting loss of time I finally tried going to the playback engine and changing the HW buffer size. Bingo, the distortion is gone and I can continue. The fix has nothing to do with which buffer size I use, it's just changing it that does it. In fact if I change it from my preferred setting to another amount and back again within the Playback Engine dialogue the distortion is gone. This is interesting and maybe points more clearly to something someone out there may understand. The CPU overload issue is bad enough without having to deal with this. Ideas??

2016 MBP retina 13 (i7) 16gb ram, High Sierra
PT 2018.4
Apollo 8p interface