View Single Post
Old 06-24-2022, 05:59 PM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
There was a general sentiment offered perhaps 3000 posts back on this thread. And that was basically to buy as much computer as you could practically afford. Some of the reasons for that are obvious: future-proofing and all that. But there's another reason that's rarely remarked on, and that's lost time in setting up a new computer. Even if you've kept a task-specific machine it's pretty easy for a complete port to take a week or two. The first 90% goes fast, but then it's death by a thousand cuts afterwards.

If you've got a revenue-producing room, then the port can cost you way more in down-time than popping down some more money at purchase. And if it involves a complete refactoring (moving to-from PCIe, HDX, new CPU architecture, etc) that's not an experience you want to go through any more often than you have to. That probably accounts for the continued prevalence of old 2012 Cheesegraters in some of the biggest facilities around.

I tend to agree with some of the sentiment expressed here and by the shouty guy on the Youtube video. For a huge number of people--folks mixing local bands, TV spots, hobby projects--then an M1 Pro will serve you for many years. But I'm not sure how many of those people are considering a Mac Studio anyway. A MacBook will serve them well and I'm sure will be seeing an up-spec'ed Mini before long.That will be the sweet spot for a lot of people.
I agree. You should buy as much computer as you can afford. Your last paragraph is just plain incorrect. I'm mixing 5.1 Shows with hundreds and hundreds of tracks. Same as the article I posted above...

All I'm saying. And I'm saying this for the final time.

The Ultra costs twice as much as the Max. You DO NOT get twice the net gain when you use Pro Tools on an Ultra.

I'm not a coder. In not making videos. I'm not using any VI's I'm a Audio Post Pro. If you're using 1000 VI's or making videos. Get the Ultra. If your recording and mixing music or a audio post Pro like me get the Max.

It's simple math. You just don't get twice the performance with PT on the Ultra now and in the short to medium term. Same as you don't need much more than 64gig of RAM. This has been said over and over again by pro's like the article I posted a page or two back.

There is a tendency to get obsessed with geek bench scores, full nerd out trying to do all this fake math about what uses single core/multicore, load files, test disk speeds & brag about the size of your computer rather than actually going out there being honest with yourself and use these things in a real world way. Because you ain't doing any of that when your using these machines for work or capturing that inspiration. Get real.
OS Monterey
ProTools Ultimate 2022.4
Presonus Quantum 4848
Mac Studio M1 10 Core, 64gig RAM
Sonnet Echo dual NVMe TB Dock
Blackmagic Decklink 3G