View Single Post
Old 02-18-2023, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Universal Audio In Trouble

You guys are killing me here. LOL
How do you not talk about the overall percentage when talking about a system and how good or bad it is and just base everything on one chip and what it can do and can't?
That doesn't make any sense! NONE! Unless you use and have a one card DSP system. Not judging...LOL
When I bought my Macbook Pro M1 Pro, I didn't base it on one DSP chip but on the overall use of how the DSP/GPU works together. When I use to mix on an HD system, I didn't base mixing from that one chip on the card and how many plugins it could do, but what plugins I could use on the full card as I knew, all (We'll back then not all) the plugins could share that one chip so, it is based on all the chips, together, that work together for one system even though some chips only worked on some plugins (Those were the days). If you have more chips, more CPU, and more ram, you can get more, and use more.
Luckily, UAD does an absolutely incredible job at showing you the use of your plugins and if you get more cards, what that means for each use of that said plugin.
Come on guys. This thinking and protecting some weird "UAD system doesn't have enough power" is crazy! Period!!!
Same as AVID, same as Waves Digigrid (Now that you can get multiple units) and same as Apple, if you want to use more plugins, you get a more powerful Mac with more CPU's.
I bought into that crap before and it stopped me from getting the now UAD system that is incredible because I listen to stuff like this that in the big picture doesn't mean anything. Looking at one chip and what it can and can not do is NOT how you are supposed to look at it. You all know this right?
Look, I'm not trying to protect UA or my UAD purchase a year ago but, for the new people to recording or new people trying to get into recording or into mixing, please DO NOT listen to this way of thinking. That's not how anyone professionally looks at it. I haven't since using Mix system back in 1998/9 and I don't now.
I have a Macbook Pro M1 Pro, UAD 5 card Quad system, Waves Digigrid, and Antelope Zen Go (Which sucks but plugins are good) and none of these do I think (well except Anetople because you can one use 4 instances but use 8 or 16 plugins per instance...LOL don't ask), what one chip use or what one plugin and how it will use that one chip and base the system use on it. It all works together to get the best mix/recording process I can get. Period.
I now don't look at my processing power at all or don't need to and THAT'S how mixing is supposed to be.
Look, I'm not trying to degrade you guys as I don't know you personally so please don't take it personally as if you knew me, you would know that I share, help, and do all I can for anyone in the music biz and have for 30+ years but, I now call out BS when I see it and hear it cause, that is the right thing to do especially for the new people that are getting into this profession and don't know what is best and what really is used and how it's used.
I know that now, so, that's all I'm doing since I now own this type of system as in UAD. I've also own Pro Tools Mix, HD systems as well in the past.
I also love to learn and get great advice from others hence the reason I'm here and GS under the same name.

This is me: www.plugmeinaudio.com (Updating my SSL at the moment - Keeps going out through Host Gator - They suck!)

Thanks, Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc