View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Is this normal? (mbox 3 & mic levels)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
Ok,

Take a deep breath and then explain these 2 things...

1. I see your meters have "Peaked" at some point in these picks... Where are the meters reading at when you are recording this? (or post a picks of the meters.

2. What is your wave form view set too?? You can adjust the size (height) of the waveform.... (Hence why I ask about the meters)

If your meters are reading anywhere near the yellow line and the waveform just looks small you can adjust the view options so it looks larger.

The other thing to consider is microphone type as I have a couple microphones that are quite low in level with the gain turned up almost all the way, others are quite prominent and easy to get to peak levels at less than 50% gain.
The levels peeked at one point when I turned the gain knob COMPLETELY to the right and the signal came through my speakers, and then the mic picked it up and the signals peeked. The signal being in the red isn't from my vocals, and I'm singing pretty loud when they fail to peek!!

And also, the tlm 102 shoudln't be this quiet. If it was, I would have found issues similar to mine online, but I never did. Thanks for the help though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
TLM 102 should have a ton of output, what mic cable are you using, Neumann doesn't tie shield to ground in the mic so ether you need to use the Gothem cable that comes with it or one that has the shell of the female XLR tied to pin 1
Hi, I talked to a helpful avid technichian over the phone and he said its most likely a preamp problem with my mbox, and I'm going to be sending it in for repairs soon... But I did try using a different xlr cable and it boosted the levels up by a tiny tiny bit. When I crank the gain knob practically all the way to the right and sing pretty loud, i get high green levels, when I should be getting a lot louder, clipped distorted levels with the gain knob almost fully turned right.

But anways, I'm using a mogami gold xlr cable. Shouldn't that work fine? and no cable came with the mic, just the mic and the clip mount. Are you saying that the gothem xlr cable should fix this problem and fix the gain level issues??

Thanks for the help so far!! :)