View Single Post
Old 07-01-2022, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Used iLok, any use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale-c View Post
Now for the one I just bought, we will see. If it has a newer version of PT than 9 that I already have, I guess I will have a newer version but if it is registered to another user I think I can use that version but would be a dead end, no upgrades, is that correct?
Maybe. It is more likely that licenses are now activated and tied to an account so you cannot use them to upgrade. You just hoping that a license appears and enables a Pro Tools version that is compatible with your computers operating system options? How are you going to get software downloads?

Or maybe it’s a lost/stolen iLok and the licenses are marked for deactivation… and when you go online with ILM… they will be removed. And not likely to happen with low cost/iLok sales but realize how bad things can go… in the past one plugin vendor saw licenses that were purchased from it fraudulently with a stolen credit card and when those license were sold on eBay and showed up in the eBay purchasers iLok account the vendor nuked *all* their plugin licenses in that account. Can’t recall if they ever got them back.

Messing around like this seems an unnecessary hassle and waste of time and maybe some risk. Just buy a physical iLok from a trusted source. If you want a Pro Tools license buy one new from a dealer or direct, or purchase used with an iLok account transfer and ideally Avid transfer of ownership if you plan on using the license (vs using to upgrade from).